Happy Wednesday! Since I last checked in, I had a rainy but great trip to Bruges, spent the afternoon in Antwerp, and finally made it to Amsterdam after a slight train delay and missed connection in Roosendaal.
While I'm enjoying plenty of waffles, beer, and fries, I've got a great guest post for today's Workout Wednesday (WOW) linkup. Jena is a 20-something new mom from Minnesota writing about her journey on faith, love and marriage, new motherhood, fashion, food, and daily life on her blog, I’m Perfectly Human. Jena's blog is beautifully designed and full of thoughtful posts, photos of her adorable baby girl, and killer fashion. Today, she's sharing some advice for getting back to fitness for new moms.
"Hi there, my name is Jena (sounds like Gina) and I blog over at I’m Perfectly Human. I am so excited to guest post for Amanda while she is on vacation (so jealous!).
Well, I haven’t been out of the country or anything like Amanda, but I did just have a baby girl, Layla, in January. She is my little love bug. Everyone say it with me, “Awwwwww!”
Now, that I’m done gushing about my sweetie pie, let me tell you the real reason I’m writing. I had my baby girl in the beginning of the year and let me tell you it hasn’t been easy getting back into the swing of things. I am also a Lupus survivor, so I sometimes deal with joint pain and inflammation issues. Both things that I have to be pretty careful about when it comes to exercising.I’d like to give you my 5 tips for getting back on track after having a baby!
1. Plan. I think this is sometimes seen as logical, but it doesn't hurt to highlight the importance of proper planning! Invest in a planner, put your grocery list/meal plans/workout times in this and stick to it! Meal planning is major, I haven’t mastered it but it’s something I am striving towards J I’m such a snacker, so I have to buy healthy snacks to keep me from going to the vending machine. When you have a plan, you are less likely to stray away. When I know what my plan is for tomorrow or the week ahead, it is much easier for me to complete my goals.
2. Carve it out. No, not turkey,
although that does sound good.I’m talking about time. You are now a mother and you will often feel like you do not have time anymore! My mom raised 7 kids, how did she do it? She carved out time for everything that needed to be done. Those moments when you are watching Scandal, The Bachelor, or Modern Family. Perfect timing to get some ab work in. I have found that there are some awesome free workouts available. I pull my laptop near me and go to work. Now, that’s what I call multi-tasking!
3. Find fitness everywhere. Take it slow, and play with your child! Seriously it will bring you so many amazing moments as well as some much needed exercise. I have been more active in those moments of entertaining my little girl than ever. Jump up and down, get silly. Sometimes I’ll do a few ‘Layla Lifts’ as I’m watching TV. Haha! Ok, I am totally not recommending you use your new child as a weight - although mine is about 15 lbs now. But, playing with your child can help you get your heart pumping during the day. Join a local running club, or start your own! Use your friends as a network to connect with others who are looking for work-out buddies. I have also found so much relief in free workouts and printable workout options from places like Tone It Up (love these girls). Options like these make it easy to add fitness in the mix in any situation, plus the Tone It Up girls give you a monthly calendar which helps with staying on top of #1 J
4. Pick morning, noon, night or nap time. While I was on maternity leave I had ‘all day err day’(cue Kourtney Kardashian) to get a workout in. Okay not really, more like anytime during nap time J (I once tried to work out when Layla wasn't napping, but that is a whole new story for another day!) Anyways, pick a time of day that you feel most motivated to working out. I choose early morning when baby girl is still sleeping, or after she has gone to the sitters. I’ve also known people to go during lunch time at work. Whatever works for you! Or night, night is always the hardest for me because I’d rather just spend time with my little family – but if you can have daddy, family, or a friend watch your little one for 30 minutes to an hour, you are so worth it!
5. If at first you don’t succeed…Try, try again. You will have rough days – moments when the baby will not go down for a nap. Days where you stayed up all night because she was teething and you couldn't make your morning run. But just keep on trekking. You are not in this alone, think of all the mothers who do it! You can do it, I believe in you!Well I could keep going but I think that is a great start to getting your sexy back! I am embarking on a journey about fitness, foods that heal and managing joint pain and if you’d like to see more come follow me on my journey!What are any of your personal tips about getting in shape after pregnancy? Any tips that you think are important that I did not share?"
Thanks for sharing this great advice, Jena! I'm not a new mom but I can still appreciate all these tips, especially number 3 as a lot of my workouts the past few days have been climbing belfry steps and walking cobblestone streets. To see more of Jena and her adorable daughter, don't forget to visit her blog and follow her on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest.
Now on to the party!
Point & Purpose: The purpose of this link up party is to mix and mingle and support each other’s sites by visiting, subscribing and/or leaving a comment. Please do not drop a link here, disappear and not follow through by visiting other party goers’ sites.
Theme: We are linking up blog posts, Google+ posts or Facebook posts related to FITNESS, RUNNING, HEALTH or WELLNESS.
1. Follow, Like and/or Subscribe to your hostesses and co-hostesses:
- Diatta Harris (Femme Fitale Fit Club)| Facebook | Twitter |
- Sheila Simmons (The Frugal Exerciser) | Twitter | Facebook |
subscribe via GFC or email.
- Amanda (Eat Hard Work Hard) | Blog | Twitter | Instagram
- Natalie (Mean, Green, Clean Eating Teen) | Blog | Facebook | Twitter |
- Jenn (Comeback Momma) | Blog | Facebook | Twi
tter | Instagram
2. Don't be a wallflower. I can not stress this enough. Show some comment luv and support to other party goers of this link up by visiting their blogs and either leave a comment on a post, subscribe or both! Visit at least 5 others who have joined the party.
3. Also join our WOW Link Up Pinterest Board (http://www.pinterest.com/
curleedst/workout-wednesdays- link-up/ ) so you can PIN your post to it.
4. Invite your like-minded friends! We love finding and reading new blogs so spread the word so we can increase the size of our parties every week til we make the walls sweat!!!! I told ya we party hard! :-)
5. Use hashtag #wowlinkup when you comment on someone's post for easy identification.
6. Last but definitely not least, HAVE FUN! This IS a party.
GRAB OUR BADGE CODE:
<div align=”center”><a href=”http://femmefitalefitclub.com/?page_id=5741″ title=”Femme Fitale Fit Club”><img src=”http://femmefitalefitclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/10411245605_4348135958_m.jpg” alt=”Femme Fitale Fit Club” style=”border:none;” /></a></div>